Saturday, November 27, 2010

Museum Visit



For my Museum visit, I chose to check out the San Diego Museum of Art. I was excited at first and all was well as I headed down the hallway to the "Art of the 20th Century" section. Surely something there would catch my eye and some did, however they didn't quite draw me in like I had hoped. So then I made my way around the first floor and saw some Asian art from who knows what century... definitely not within the years of the class teachings for sure (thankfully). I then stumbled upon some Middle Eastern and Indian sculptures, they were okay but not relevant to the class or my interests. Making my way up the stairs to the second floor, a poster on the stairs advertising an exhibit caught my eye, I HAD TO SEE IT. The artwork displayed on this poster was:

Honoré Daumier, Lovers of classical art more and more convinced that art is lost in France, 1852. Lithograph.



I loved it and I really appreciated Lithography artwork. I was drawn to the cartoon-like style of the image and the awkward facial expressions the characters had. I think that title of the artwork basically sums up what is going on. I was just so amazed that such a modern looking style was used in the 1800's! The sketchy and unfinished look really appealed to me, even more so than the more refined art all over the museum. Pretty amazing that a greasy crayon drawn on stone and transferred to paper via ink can look so cool! It's like a giant stamp! Just to make sure that this was the type of art and/or specific piece I was most drawn to, I made my way around the second floor to the Renaissance section and really didn't find anything too interesting... I've never really been a fan of Renaissance artwork, however I can acknowledge that it played an important role in art history. So I came to the conclusion that I had found the art that I enjoyed the most out of the entire museum and oddly enough, it turned out to be one of the most simplistic art-forms the museum had to offer.


A larger and better quality version can be seen at: http://www.sdmart.org/art/exhibit/century-lithography

Just click on the picture to expand.


Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. You're freaking arrogant, haha! Yeah this was good though. I guess you prefer 20th century art over Renaissance, or Dada... I did my blog, but I think it got posted on some other URL. Perhaps with this comment, though, you can click on me and check up on my profile and see my other page...

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance, the man that is second from the left reminded me of the face from "The Scream" by Edvard Munch. The facial expressions shown were so similar. Obviously the artworks are so different.

    ReplyDelete