Thursday, December 9, 2010

Kevin's Museum visit went like this...



This is me standing next to a painting which i thought was pretty awesome.




Quince, Cabbage, Melon, and Cucumber
by Juan Sanchez Cotan



I went to visit the local San Diego Art Museum and I was attracted to the painting Quince, Cabbage, Melon, and Cucumber by Juan Sanchez Cotan. What really catches my attention from this piece must be the dark background in contrast to the actual objects. Also, I love the way the colors are set to give a three-dimensional feel and how I can tell how the light hits each vegetable. Something interesting I wondered about was the fact that the artist, Juan Sanchez Cotan, had intentionally painted some vegetables hanging from a mere string. It’s not very realistic in the sense of the event, yet the items in the image are very realistic

I developed interest in the still-life canvas painting known as Quince, Cabbage, Melon, and Cucumber by Juan Sanchez Cotan because I loved the way it appeared simple, yet it had a greater meaning to it. I found this painting in a religious section of the museum and I wondered why it belonged there. I learned that this painting came from Spain (Toledo and Granada), around 1602, where still-life painting was almost nonexistent in European art before the 1590s. The artist Sanchez Cotan was one of the first great practitioners of the art style. This work was universally known as his masterpiece because it was brilliantly executed as natural and simplistic. It holds a mysterious peacefulness in which the objects are positioned in a perfect curve and are placed in front of a plain black background. On the other hand, the meaning of the image is believed to be a pure painting exercise that is a straightforward depiction of vegetables in a cold cellar. Furthermore, some people actually believe that the picture holds religious meaning and it should be noticed as a celebration of God’s most modest creations. To support this claim, Sanchez Cotan gave up his possessions and joined a Carthusian monastery sometime after painting the canvas.

1 comment:

  1. After looking to the piece of art that you chose I did i little bit of a research and I found out that the Spanish artist Juan Sanchez Cotan started with a new syle of Still Life painting called bodegon depicting the majority of the time vegetables, it was curious to me that on this one he depicted a melon.You have a good taste, it is always surprising for me how real the painting looks almost like a photograph.

    ReplyDelete