Friday, December 3, 2010

STAR TREK VS STAR WARS?!?!


For my museum visit, I decided to go to the student art show in Southwestern. When I was at the art gallery, I found an art piece that caught my attention. This art piece has no title, but the artists’ name was Kent Li. The work that Kent did was in Photoshop which I believe it is and he presented this piece with familiar images. This piece was drawn to me because it was interesting to see two images of space ships from Star Trek and Star Wars as if they are about to fight in a space battle. This image seems to have a humor side to it, but I think in my own opinion it profess to say about either a political or scientific controversy between two countries. I’m not sure which country is depicted in one of the two space ships, but where my finger is pointing at is a flag of the Soviet Union. So I guess it’s about the Soviet Union and other countries back in 1960’s trying to run against each other for being the first country to be in space and land on the moon. Although the U.S. was the first country to “land on the moon” in 1969, I think Kent is trying to point out a “What If?” question if the Soviet Union was the first country in history to fly into space and how it will affect the world throughout history. There was no commission that was put in the show, but it was presented for the audience to look at and to understand this artwork with their own political views or opinions. Overall, Kent Li did an amazing job on this Photoshop piece which will influence me someday to do the same in my other artwork and I enjoyed it.


So what you guys think it’s about?

1 comment: