Thursday, December 9, 2010

M.C.A.S.D


For my museum visit I chose to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego Downtown. The name of the exhibition during my visit was Viva la Revolucion: A Dialogue with the Urban Landscape. The artwork I was drawn to was Untitled, by Dr. Lakra, and is India ink on wall. The initial reason I was drawn to it was because of its size, as it occupies a very large portion of one of the walls in the main gallery. There’s a lot going on in this piece and found myself in front of it examining for about three times as long as any other of the works. When looking at it closer you begin to notice all the symbols and different scenes, and you begin to wonder if they are somehow related or connected. The images seem to vary greatly, some being very violent in nature, while others express more of a soft or gentle feeling. Some of the images remind me of a lot of Kara Walker’s work; white background with black figures. It’s kind of hard to tell what the image professes to say since it a surreal piece but I do notice that the eyes seem to draw attention and it does contain a lot of different women, so I think it’s made for women and that could be a reason I don’t know the message it’s trying to get across. I think it was made just for this exhibition and because of the images in it, I would say it was intended for an older audience. All in all I really liked it, as well as the rest of the show, it was waaaay better than their previous exhibition but i still look forward to my next visit. I didn't receive a ticket since i went with my class but i included a picture of the museum’s sticker they give you while you’re there.

3 comments:

  1. This image is very interesting!! I like that it is very different to all the other ones. It's interesting and crazy. I love it. I think I will go just to see this image. It reminds me of Walker's art work from the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is eye-catching and it really draws you in. The flow of the artwork brings you into the dream they are trying to portray which I think we all definietly felt in some of the Surrealist pieces we studied. For example, I really connected with Frieda's painting when she was going through the divorce and it showed who she was and who she grew to become. I love this. I can't wait to go to this museum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete