Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Visit


For the Museum visit assignment I went to the Timken Museum last Wednesday, it was cold, and my girlfriend came along to be my photographer, my hat is noticeable so yes it is me. At the Museum I saw a few pieces that caught my eye, but the one I chose was A Seaport at Sunset by Claude-Joseph Vernet. I chose this because when I first saw it I immediately thought it was just a very strong and real feeling piece, and because I was envious, I'm rather challenged when it comes to pieces like this. The image is that of a busy port, a large trading vessel coming in from the distance with the sunlight shining behind it. The image seems to be that of prosperity, as it shows how the trade is flourishing during the time. The busy people seem rather well dressed, and the atmosphere lacks any form of negativity in it. When on the museum website, it says that the ship is waving the Dutch flag, which could mean it was most likely commissioned by a Dutch client. If not for the sole purpose of being a private piece, it was probably commissioned to show off the persons wealth. Judging by the angle at which everyone is positioned in the picture, it could be said that the audience could be anyone viweing the image, however most likely if this was a private piece it would have been friends or visitors of the owner.

This is my first blod ever, hope it's okay. Could not take a picture of the image because some old lady told me the camera flash would damamge it, even though I was going to use my cell phone....which has no flash.....yeah. However thats me outside the musuem...see my hat!

1 comment:

  1. So I tried to look up the painting that you picked. It was a little confusing, but from my understanding, there are two paintings with the same title. However, there is one that was done in 1749 and one that was painted in 1751. Judging by your description, it looks like you were referring to the painting done in 1749. I hope I'm right!

    Vernet was a French artist whose style was considered Rococo. I do agree with what you said about the painting. It depicts the whole trade scene prosperous and full. I did more research on the painting and it seems that rather than showing a specific location, the ideal Mediterranean port is shown. The boat is an actual warship and it is paying tribute to the Dutch.

    Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete